Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I Am Disappointed.


I once swore to never criticize my boys, but I cannot turn a blind eye to this.  This feels personal.

Simon. My dear beloved Simon.  I am surprised to learn of this.  I once said that you were my favourite hockey player. Not just on this team. But on any team. I  have always admired and respected and loved you.

Of all of the words that have come out of your mouth, of all of the animated shit talk I've listened to you mutter by the press corner, or grumble in the penalty box....why? Why would you risk so much to say something so profoundly ignorant and hurtful to Chaz Johnson?  Why would you risk suspension? Why would you risk your teammates? Why would you risk our chances at the playoffs? Why would you alienate your fans?

I don't know and can't know if Chaz meant the hit on Matt Sorteberg to generate the damage it did. Chaz is a physical player, Matt really was in a bad position, this is hockey, and the ref called it clean at the time. Nevertheless, I did see the hit, I did see the damage and I was shaken by what happened to Matt.  But even so I'm also shaken that you would say what it has been reported you said.  

I understand you called him to apologize.  Good.  That was an important gesture and it couldn't have been easy. But you don't just owe him one.  You owe it to some of us too because when you sink that low, verbally, with all of its serious, angry, and cruel connotations you do not represent all of us.  You are the Captain. It's not that I thought you were perfect. You're not, I'm not.  We can and will and have made mistakes.  I knew of many of your faults...you've always worn so much of yourself on your sleeve, both the good and the bad, and I've loved you anyway, but there are some things that make this particular fan cry.  I cried over what happened to Matt and I cried over this (and if you want to add what happened to Max Pacioretty of the Canadiens, we can add that too). I'm not giving up on you, but I am sorry to learn of it.
  
And with that out of the way, we move on, and continue to wish Matt a complete recovery and return to the ice.

3 comments:

  1. :-( That's really hard to process. And really, really saddening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a minority (not black) and think it spoke volumes that he phoned chaz the next day - that could not have been easy and no one had been punished yet so I can't imagine anyone made him do that. There is racist humor all over comedy central, the n word used repeatedly in rap songs...let's not beat this guy up for an ignorant slip in the heat of the moment when he was emotional about his injured teammate on a hit chaz has now been suspended a game for (you don't get suspended for clean hits). #3 is still my favorite player.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous

    It was a very big thing that Simon apologized and I'm very glad to hear that he did. It's not easy to do. I'm not going to get into the whole use of that word in the entertainment business or among the black community because that's a whole other issue. I am not a minority here, but I have been a minority in other locations in which I lived for many years. I am also married to a minority and have experienced my fair share of racism enough that I do take these things seriously. It was bad for our team and bad for the sport. Racist remarks are not acceptable professional behavior in hockey.

    You'll notice if you browse my blog that Simon has not lost any place with me. I have kept his bio intact in which I praised him. He remains on my sidebar. I understand why he was emotional. I understand why the entire team was emotional, I cried when I saw what happened to Matt, but there are some lines you don't cross as a paid professional athlete and he crossed it and I have every right as a fan to be upset with him.

    And, yes, both Johnson and McEwan were suspended though the ECHL Commission has not released specific details. You'll also note that Simon Ferguson and Riley Emmerson were also suspended. There was poor judgment all around. And it's a very critical week for these individuals to be missing from our lineup. I hope Simon learns from this. I hope he moves on. I hope we all do. I intend to. I plan on this and hope this will be the one and only time I ever call out one the players.

    ReplyDelete