Friday, February 11, 2011

Brendan Milnamow loves Blueberry Bagels

Meet Brendan:


Despite the ~*serious*~ look on that face, the Brendan Milnamow I was lucky to meet last week (and the Grizzlies lucky to trade for and work with now) has a lop-sided smile to put anyone at ease. 

Mid January we finally closed our deal with the Bakersfield Condors who had collected our Brad Snetsinger in mid December (and who has done well there).   I recall being very irritated with this trade back then and made my opinions known to a few in the Grizzlies management who assured me we were getting someone "very very good." 

They weren't kidding.

I saw Brendan's debut with us and have to say that I was instantly impressed.  Foremost? Because of the chemistry.  Part of that is because the team itself made a sincere and heartwarming effort from the very beginning to welcome Brendan to the family.   While discussing his recent move to Utah to join the Grizzlies, Brendan himself recounted his introduction:

"The moment I came into the locker room for the first time, they all just stood up, came over, shook my hand, and made me feel like family. It was great. I've never known a team like this.  They are great guys, this is a great team and a great city, and I feel fortunate."
The other part is that Brendan has the kind of personality and game where if you can't get along with him then something is wrong with YOU.  Brendan meshes well, and it doesn't matter a whole lot where you stick him either...Crowder, Parnham, May....he's going to work hard.   This guy plays straight hockey, and you can't miss him for the spray of ice showering the glass as he stops the puck from getting any further down the boards.  

 After the game, Brendan and I discussed the pure fruity joy that is a blueberry bagel, how much he would love to own a BMW, and how he'd love to play for the New York Rangers.  He is a patient look-you-in-the-eye listener who smiles and laughs freely. Being in his company is refreshing; he doesn't just take the time to talk to you...he takes the time to talk to you like he's known you all his life, and shows up when you ask him to.  In other words, he's the perfect addition to a classy team and I am thrilled.

3 comments:

  1. Aww! He wants to play for my home city!! :D YAY! The more I hear, the more awesome this team seems. They sound like such wonderful genuine people. It's really quite refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thats pretty neat, I love it when guys are like that. Esspically when they play on sports teams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! he sounds like an awesome bloke, cant wait to hear more about him!

    ReplyDelete